Thursday, December 12, 2013

One of these skeins is not like the others...

Remember the Sesame Street Song?  "One of these things is not like the others, one of these things just doesn't belong…"

Well, I did some woolen spinning for the first time during Spinzilla.  Then I tried to go back to my short forward draft to spin the third skein for my Color Affection shawl.  Can you see the results in the pictures?


The two on the ends were spun before Spinzilla.  The one in the middle was done during Spinzilla.  


My skeins go like this:

     Skein 1; 100 g, 258 yd
     Skein 2: 80 g, 215 yd 
     Skein 3: 90 g, 168 yd


Normalized per 50 g, that:

     Skein 1: 129 yd
     Skein 2: 134 yd
     Skein 3: 93 yd

Besides the yardage being so different, the feel of the yarn is quite different: fluffy, airy….woolen spun!

My goal was to match KnitPicks Palette, as I mentioned in this post.  Trouble is, I didn't notice until just now that I'm DOUBLE what I thought!

Here I was saying, Pallete has 213 yd/ 50 g, so I'm doing well  at 258.  But that's for 100 g!  What's my problem?  I was planning to simply spin another skein 3, but now I might just have to start all over.  Hrumph.

No comments:

Post a Comment